***Updated 12/14/14: Santa Cruz updated, Awardees added***
We are now in the Christmas Season! Participation in our first community tree lighting this past Sunday was outstanding. Thanks Chelsea and the Support Group. It is a joyous and exciting time of year with so many celebrations and just things to be done. We have Santa Cruz coming up (see below) along with some tips to consider for making the holidays safer.
BE SURE TO SEND SANTA AN EMAIL WITH YOUR ADDRESS SO HE WILL BE SURE TO VISIT YOU!!!
HSVFD Annual Awards Winners
The Department Annual Awards/Christmas Dinner was held on December 6th with the following recieving recognition for superior service.
- Community Service Award: Ms. Haley Chafey for her quick action in administering CPR to an elderly citizen before the arrival to emergency services/personnel. Well Done!
- Clara Edwards Award: FF Darrell Golightly for his continued superior service to the Department since 1982. Not surprising since every member of the family has served the Department in some capacity since the beginning.
- Firefighter of the Year: FF Jordan Bailey.
- Junior Firefighter of the Year: Explorer Matt Jackson.
Holiday Safety - Some Things To Consider !!
- Home Fire Safety
- Don't overload wall outlets.
- Take care with extension cords...Don't run under rugs/floor coverings.
- Keep real/live trees well watered.
- If hosting a gathering/party don't let your guests drink and drive.
- Traffic Safety
- Don't drive while drinking.
- Watch the other driver; not everyone is as safe as you.
- No texting/cell phones unless hands free.
- Secure children and keep distractions down.
- Personal Safety
- When shopping, park in a well lit area. Ask security to escort you to your vehicle if you feel it necessary. Have your keys ready to unlock your vehicle.
- Guard your purse/wallet and be aware of your surrondings.
- Defensive sprays (mace/pepper) CAN work but often provide a false sense of security. Know how and when to use them; spraying into the wind often affects only the sprayer.